The Federal Skilled Workers Program (FWSP) allows individuals with foreign work experience to apply for permanent residence in Canada, if they obtain sufficient points under the point score system.
This is 1 of the 3 federal programs managed through Express Entry, an online application system that uses a points-based method to rank candidates. Applicants with the highest scores will receive an invitation to apply for Canadian permanent residence.
To be eligible for the FSWP program, a candidate’s skilled work experience must be:
- in the same type of job as the job you want to use for your immigration application
- within the last 10 years
- at least 12 months of continuous work
- paid work (volunteer work or unpaid internships don’t count)
Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) uses a 100-point grid to assess eligibility for the program. You earn points for how well you do in each of the following selection factors:
- age (12 points)
- education (25 points)
- work experience (15 points)
- whether you have a valid job offer (10 points)
- English and/or French language skills (28 points)
- adaptability or how well you’re likely to settle here (10 points)
The Express Entry pool manages permanent residence applications for immigrants who can fill jobs where there is a lack of available skilled Canadian workers.
Applicants are ranked in the Express Entry pool using a points-based system. The government will invite people to apply for permanent residence based on your score and rank in the Express Entry pool. You cannot apply for the program directly.
The following federal economic immigration programs use the Express Entry system:
- Federal Skilled Worker Program (FSWP)
- The Federal Skilled Trades Program (FSTP)
- The Canadian Experience Class (CEC)
Our trusted immigration lawyers can help you build a strong immigration application.
Our trusted immigration lawyers can provide you with the counsel you need to build a strong Express Entry profile, guidance on improving your CRS score, and more.
Request a consultation now!
Sign up with your email to receive our newsletter and stay informed about the latest legal developments and special offers.
Khan Law is a boutique law practice that has been providing legal services to the Greater Toronto Area since the year 2000.